Garage doors can be seen as a weak link in the security of your house. However that does not need to be the case any longer. Read on to learn more about how you can tighten up the security of your home by making sure your garage door is secure.
- Remember to maintain the mechanical parts of your roll-up garage door and watch out for corrosion. Remember the door leading to your house from the garage, check the locks and hinges as well as checking the frame.
- Place a padlock on the throw latch on the garage door when you go out of town. If there is no manual lock, utilize a c-clamp so it is down tight against each side of the doors.
- Cover your garage windows to void thieves looking in.
- Put a peephole in the door between your garage and house. If you do hear something, you can observe from a safer position.
- Do not be silly and leave the garage door open. Many people do because they think their neighborhood is a safe place!
- Make sure the garage door that leads into the home is as secure as your front door.
- Along the same lines, install a deadbolt on this door and keep it locked.
- Make sure the emergency release on your garage door is secure.
- Do not use the remote on your car visor and purchase a key fob opener.
- Whatever you do, do not leave the door remote in your vehicle because when a thief breaks into your car, they can steal the remote and there is a way into your home.